Thursday 15 November 2012

FIVE THINGS....

Five things that I enjoyed about my internship experience are:
1. Nature-Not to sound cliché but Costa Rica simply put is absolutely beautiful! Seeing mist roll down green-blue mountain sides = breath-taking!






In background: Volcano Arenal


2. People-Costa Ricans are so friendly and helpful. It was easy to walk up to a stranger and say hello without being labelled as “random” or “weird”. In fact if I was labelled as such I wouldn't know anyway with the little Spanish I grasped :). I also met many great people who volunteered at the station. 

3. Simplicity- These cabins were no luxury item but the simplicity of it all made me appreciate everything more. The stains in my shirts from the mosquito-repellant never became a concern.



This lizard felt safe on our computer cord as someone typed away.


4. Knowledge-Being able to learn from people at the station and all the varying groups that came in was a one of a kind experience. From the groups studying primates and reptiles, Sarah and Kirstin teaching me how to make new dishes to Mariya teaching me all about the forest and bracelet making.

5. Friendships- I got to spend it with 3 incredible people who have now become friends.




Zipling with Mariya.

Five things that bothered me during my internship experience are:
1. Privacy-small quarters, not much space for alone time and oh do walls have ears!

2. Mosquitoes-Showering in outdoor stands without covering not only brought sunshine but also brought in the unwelcome guests that kept us doing the “sting dance’.
Our dorm flooded as we await the new outbreak of mosquitoes.

3. Spiders, cockroaches and oh the snakes- I love the environment but some things I’d rather love from a distance.

4. Excess rain- No dry clothes sometimes for days. Thank God for dry boxes! (Oh and by dry boxes I mean a literal wooden box with a light bulb used for keeping electronics and clothes dry-simple but genius!)

5. Isolation- When seeing cars excite you…you know you have been living in isolation for a while!
Five things I missed most about Canada/Toronto?
1.Warm …maybe hot showers.

2.Some specific food items.

3. Family and friends

4.Dry clothes-very humid in the rainforest!
5. Occasionally I missed being able to make a call freely with my cell phone but this was rare as I learnt all about skype. 
Five things I will miss from my host country?
1. My excellent manager and her super cute son.

2. Waking up to the sound of monkey fights and the turtles.



Disguising turtle tracks....in these moments you wonder what was hard about  moving  in a straight line.


3.Mosquito nets-surprisingly they provided a sense of security that I actually miss!

4.Being able to use nature as free therapy, the simplicity and removal from the chaos.



La Fortuna-Waterfall
Where we worked....Playa Norte itself
We were just as happy when she was done!

5. Fresh fruits and vegetables-papaya, lychee, breadfruit.



You know, just a typical day at work...



As is customary...I have stolen some of Mariya's pictures :)


2 comments:

  1. La Fortuna Waterfall is absolutely gorgeous!!!
    I am glad that you did this:)
    JB

    ReplyDelete